Manzini Health Team: Profiling More NGOs That Operate Within Manzini City
The Municipal Council of Manzini last week published profiles of six Non-Governmental Organisations that have a presence within the Manzini urban area. These are the Family Life Association of Swaziland (FLAS), Hope House, Women Together, Autism Eswatini, National Emergency Response Council on HIV and AIDS (NERCHA) as well as Sinakwa Inclusion Care Centre. These organisations form part of the Manzini Health Team (MHT) which is a group of 18 NGOs that provide health and social welfare related services in the city. The MHT is coordinated by the Municipality for purposes of ensuring that the various NGOs in the city work in a coordinated manner and that each organisation knows the services that the other provides in the city. This is in line with the Municipality’s 2019-2024 Integrated Development Plan strategic objective “to provide responsive integrated health and social welfare services by 2024”. Citizens of Manzini and the general members of the public are, therefore, encouraged to utilise the services offered by the NGOs. In this week’s article the Municipality brings to the fore more NGOs that are members of the MHT. Please familiarise yourself with their service offering and make use of them;
AIDS HEALTHCARE FOUNDATION
The Aids Healthcare Foundation (AHF-Eswatini) runs the LaMvelase Help Centre in partnership with the Municipal Council of Manzini. The LaMvelase Help Centre Anti-Retroviral Therapy (ART) clinic was established in August 2007 in partnership with the Ministry of Health, Municipal Council of Manzini, AIDS Healthcare Foundation, AMICAALL-Eswatini, Population Services International (PSI) Eswatini and Family Life Association of Swaziland (FLAS). About 8,700 clients were receiving ART at the time. The AIDS Healthcare Foundation (AHF-Eswatini) is the main partner that assists with the day-to-day operation of the clinic. The clinic has grown in leaps and bounds over time and today it provides service to over 15,100 clients. It operates on Mondays to Fridays between 7am and 5pm and is located at the corner of Sandlane and Nkoseluhlaza streets, just above the Manzini Library next to NERCHA Information Centre. The organisation may be contacted on +268 2505 9183.
- SERVICES OFFERED
- The clinic provides cutting edge HIV treatment and services including HIV testing and Anti-Retroviral Therapy.
- Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI) services (screening and treatment).
- Tuberculosis (TB) services.
- Sexual Reproductive Health services.
- Prevention of Mother-To-Child Transmission services.
- Laboratory monitoring.
- AIDS Healthcare Foundation operates a total of six other ART Clinics in the different municipalities in the country.
THE AIDS INFORMATION AND SUPPORT CENTRE (TASC)
TASC is an indigenous HIV and AIDS service organisation. It is a non-profit making organisation that was established in 1989. TASC started off as Project HOPE HIV & AIDS project in the period between October 1989 and 1991. It was officially registered as a local (Swaziland) NGO in 1992. TASC’s offices are located at Makhaya Convenient Centre, Suite No.14, along Ngwane Street, opposite Motruck. The office may be contacted on +268 2505 4790, Fax +268 2505 4752, Toll – free health and AIDS Helpline: 800 3700 or +268 2505 3910 and +268 7650 9534. Its office hours are Mondays to Fridays from 8am to 3pm.
- SERVICES OFFERED
- HIV and AIDS prevention, treatment, care and support in a holistic approach in both the rural and urban settings.
- To increase the capacity of counselors, health workers and non-health persons to address issues of HIV and AIDS through the development and delivery of appropriate and innovative training.
ESWATINI CHURCH FORUM ON HIV AND AIDS
The Eswatini Church Forum on HIV and AIDS is a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) that was created by five church bodies in the Kingdom of Eswatini for purposes of coordinating faith-based response to HIV and AIDS. The five organizations (umbrella bodies) are the League of African Independent Churches, Council of Eswatini Churches, Eswatini Conference of Churches, International Tabernacle and the Eswatini Conference of the Seventh Day Adventists. The Church Forum is led by a board of directors comprising representatives of the five church umbrella bodies. The organization operates in the entire Kingdom of Eswatini but also has offices in the City of Manzini. The Eswatini Church Forum’s offices are located in Coates Valley, along Tenbergen Street. It may be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, +268 2505 703, +268 7681 6528. Its office hours are 8am to 5pm on Mondays to Fridays.
- SERVICES OFFERED IN MANZINI OFFICE
- Strengthening churches to fight against HIV and AIDS as well as gender-based violence.
- To improve the wellbeing of persons infected with and/or affected by HIV and AIDS and reduce poverty, especially in the church.
- Sensitisation against stigma and discrimination in the church.
- Establishment of savings and credit groups.
- Identification of gaps in the HIV and AIDS response that is provided by faith-based organizations and development of solutions to help address those gaps in the most practical and efficient manner, whilst cooperating with relevant partners.
- Strengthening churches to fight against the Covid-19 virus.
- Strengthening the health system in churches by training church leaders, caregivers and church members on the Covid-19 virus.
- Addressing key gaps towards achieving HIV epidemic control and ensuring justice for children in churches.
- Prevention of sexual violence against children.
NATIONAL TB CONTROL PROGRAMME
The National TB Control Programme (NTCP) is a department under the Ministry of Health which deals with Tuberculosis (TB) infection control and treatment. Its offices are based behind the King Somhlolo Park in Manzini. They may be contacted on 2505 5577 or 2505 7951. Their offices open from Monday to Friday from 8am to 4:45pm. On Saturdays and public holidays they operate from 8am to 1pm.
- SERVICES OFFERED
- Tuberculosis (TB) diagnosis.
- TB treatment.
- HIV testing and ART initiation.
- Health education and family planning services.
- Treatment of minor illnesses.
- Cancer screening services.
- Laboratory services and radiography
NOTE: Please note that, due to space limitations, information about the other members of the MHT will be published in subsequent weeks.
…MANZINI MUNICIPALITY, TIMES OF ESWATINI GREEN VALENTINE’S DAY A SUCCESS
…A big thank you to sponsors and the various Manzini-based schools
The Municipal Council of Manzini, in partnership with the Times of Eswatini, on Monday hosted a successful “Happy Green Valentine’s Day” under the theme “Showing love to the environment”. The organisations deviated from the normal and, instead, took advantage of the day to show love to the environment by planting indigenous trees in 20 schools and social centres citywide, donating 40 litter bins, sensitizing school going pupils about the importance of protecting the environment through avoiding littering, illegal dumping on undeveloped plots and public open spaces as well as deforestation. The pupils were also taught about the importance of tree planting. The Municipality and the Times of Eswatini take this opportunity to express its appreciation to the schools for opening their doors to the initiative. Most importantly, word of appreciation goes to the event sponsors. The sponsors are the following;
- Stefanutti Stocks
- Far East Textiles
- Emlembe Beverages
- First National Bank (FNB)
- United Holdings
- IBA World Changers
- Multipurpose Distributors
- Eclipse Environmental Solutions
- Dixie’s International
- Jad Designs
- Pelum Association
- Ministry of Tourism and Environmental Affairs (Forestry Department)